Founded in 2003, Eco Lips is the original organic lip balm. We manufacture the best USDA organic and Fair Trade Certified™ products FOR the world.
We are proud to be members of the B Corp community since 2013.
“We founded Eco Lips under the philosophy that we would always embrace a triple bottom line: People, Planet & Profit. The B Corp certification assessment provides our employees with a framework we couldn’t have created ourselves. We are now able to set clear goals and view our progress in a very unbiased way. Every time we increase our B Corp rating, we know we are doing better for our employees, our community, and the greater world.” ~ Steve Shriver, Founder & CEO
What is a B Corp?
Certified B Corporations are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose. B Corps are accelerating a global culture shift to redefine success in business and build a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
Why do B Corps matter?
Society’s most challenging problems cannot be solved by government and nonprofits alone. The B Corp community works toward reduced inequality, lower levels of poverty, a healthier environment, stronger communities, and the creation of more high-quality jobs with dignity and purpose. By harnessing the power of business, B Corps use profits and growth to a greater end: positive impact for their employees, communities, and the environment.
Here are some examples of ways we practice what we preach:
- Our 36,000 sq ft manufacturing facility is powered with 100% renewable energy – 75% from 5,900 sq ft of solar panels installed on our roof and 25% from Iowa wind energy offsets.
- All employees are paid a minimum $15 per hour which is above the state of Iowa’s minimum wage requirements.
- We offer full health benefits to employees, a 401K match program, and flexible work schedules as family takes top priority.
- We require specific social/environmental criteria from suppliers and give preference to local, sustainable companies.
- We allow each employee 20 hours a year in paid time off for community service.
- We give monetary and in-kind donations to non-profits, events and more. Our current passion project is improving Cedar Lake in Cedar Rapids, IA with a $100,000 commitment. Visit connectCR.org for more information.
- More than 95% of printed material is made from recycled content, FSC-certified paper and soy-based ink.
- We have a recycling program for office and manufacturing waste with the goal of achieving zero waste in the very near future.
- Our products are made with food-grade, USDA organic and/or Fair Trade Certified™ ingredients. All products are Leaping Bunny Certified (cruelty-free), gluten-free, and GMO-free.
Our work is never done, and B Corp certification provides a framework for continued improvement. We're passionate about creating the best products FOR the world and being true innovators in the market.